oops need a new skeg protector &

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oops need a new skeg protector &

i hit a stump the other day messed-up my skeg and propeller still dont know how i was in a channel, but the draw down of the lake may be to blame too. i noticed that in the front of the skeg a little gear oil residue and maybe a table spoon on the floor, before i put the skeg cover on can a welder patch this --it may be a crack in the oil vent passage as i have seen posted in the past.

see attached photo---
    Attached Files

any ideas ?

Comment

May have to remove the paint in that area so you can see what kind of crack you have. If crack is not in the area of a bearing or a seal you can have it welded up fairly easy at a welding shop.

Comment

thanks for the info at worst ill try it and if it dont work ----new lower unit will be ordered.

Comment

I knocked about a quarter-sized chunk out of my skeg a while back, filled it with JB Weld, filed it smooth, a touch of spray paint, and it's like new! Good Luck!

Comment

oops2

i found the oil source not on the skeg coming from a small hole above the top oil drain screw--looks like a weep hole or overflow? got any idea what this is?

Comment

Working...
            X