Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1989 Yamaha 2 stroke 2hp surges when running...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Yamaha 2 stroke 2hp surges when running...

Okay, before I get grilled, this is my first engine, and my first engine question. Engine background. the engine I got has approximately 10 hours on it. I took the cover off and everything looks great. no rust, no dirt, no oil anywhere. I took the plug out, and the cylinder is still shiny, from MY inspection, everything looks good. It has not been running for 8 years. I drained and refilled the lower unit oil, (yes, with the correct stuff) and filled it up with gas. On the third pull,it fired up. BUT, it surges when it runs. It runs with the choke on, but when I turn the choke off, it dies. any help? Thanks in advance.

The carb. needs to be rebuilt and the water pump needs to replaced if it hasn't been run in 8 years. double the amount of oil in gas for the first tank of gas and run it slow.

Comment

A guy here at work said it may be the fact that I have the prop off, and it running in a bucket of water. He said the prop is not giving the engine resistance. Should I put the prop on, and try it in a river or something to see if that works?

Comment

I rebuilt the carbs on my 1988 150 and it runs great.

Comment

Working...
        X