2005 150 vmax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 150 vmax

I have the oppotunity to buy a skeeter 2005 sl 180 with a 2005 yamaha 150 vmax carb. on it. All of my previous boats were powered by mercs. Just wanted some feedback on this motor. I've been told by some that the yamaha carbed motors were very durable. What type of servicing, maintence do these engines require? My old mercs ran forever with just oil/gas and very little maintence. Thanks for your help.

Curly,
    The owners manual gives you all the maintenance you need to do - be sure and get one with the purchase.
    Basically, check all filters periodically, water pump repair every 2-3 years, depending on use, spark plugs once a year, lower unit oil check/replace periodically, lube all grease fittings at least once a year.
    Also, you will want to run a detergent like Seafoam or Yamaha RingFree on a regular basis - some owners use it all the time, I use it about every third tank.
    Try to run your outboard at least once a week, even if it is just with the earmuffs and garden hose - the worst thing you can do to an outboard (especially carbed) is to let it set up for months at a time w/o being run. If you have to store the motor for the off season, follow the procedure in the owners manual - fogging, fuel stabilizer, etc.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Curly
      I'm sorta like you always had a merc. Got a 2005 Yama 150 4 stroke on a 196 triton dual console. I run gps 60 mph with a tempest 21 @ 5800 rpm wot. Would like to get on plane a little faster but heck I'm alright now. I think you gone love that motor.

Comment

Working...
      X