C75W 2 stroke problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C75W 2 stroke problems

I got home from work this evening and notice a fairly substantial amount of oil on the leg of the engine. I opened the cowling and what was once a full oil reservoir is now below the lower cap that has the wires coming from it. I unscrewed the reservoir and couldn't see any leaks so I reattached.

When looking the engine over, the lower cap has some oil residue around it and seems to have run down the side of the reservoir and into the engine well itself, moved down into the leg and out through the top of the leg at the seam just below the motors trim switch. I'm not certain from what I can see if this has run down the length of the leg from the inside.

This has happened twice (continuation of issue is more than likely). A couple of weeks ago, I first noticed the problem. At that time the leg was tilted up, and it hadn't been run for a couple of months. I invited by mechanic/boat owner neighbor for a look and he suggested removing the reservoir to check for cracks (none) and failing that, top up the reservoir and turn the motor over and possibly notice leaking at that point (nothing). I cleaned everything up best I could left the motor down this time and took off on vacation. As of today, the oil has drained to below the small cap.

Any ideas on where this oil might be leaking from?

As for cleaning the oil from the engine compartment, I can get most of it but there may be some I just can't get at without removing a lot of components. Is this an issue such as fire hazard?

Can the oil drain further down the leg to the prop from inside?

Sorry if I sound like a newbe, it's 'cause I am one.

Thanks for any assistance anyone might be able to provide.

bump to the top

Comment

Do you keep the motor tilted up? Is the oil fresh TCW-III?

The gasket on the oil tank cap assembly may be gone. The oil may leak past the cap and drip from the edge of the filler tube. I'd also look at the supply and return connections, the gasket on the oil level sensor and hoses that may be loose or cracked. Since hose, gaskets and clamps are cheap, consider replacing them to eliminate the possibility.

BTW, those hoses pull off easily enough especially when you don't want them to.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
      X