New Motor Skeg Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Motor Skeg Question

Hi, I'm new around here, so please be nice. I have the opportunity to purchase a new boat with a new motor at a significant discount because the boat is last year's model and because the skeg was apparently drug a significant distance. It appears about an inch of material is missing, and what's left has been filed to clean up a bit. I test drove the boat and could detect no problems, but I'm far from an expert in this area. Can someone knowledgeable tell me what problems I should be looking for? Would it be holding a course, turning, planing, or something else?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

That skeg shouldn't be a problem. You could always add a Skeg Gard later if it would make you feel better. Ideally, a skeg should hang down below the lowest point on the prop to protect it from rocks, oyster beds, etc.

Comment

I've heard of people cutting off their skegs to add speed… I certainly wouldn’t recommend that because your prop would be exposed to obstruction… but other than protecting the prop, I don’t think the skeg serves much purpose. If you’re boating in shallow areas or where there are a lot of underwater obstructions, I’d bolt on a skeg-guard just to protect the prop.

Comment

Thanks, guys, those reponses make me feel better about it and I get to keep more of my cash!

Comment

Working...
        X