Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 130hp saltwater series timing or carbys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 130hp saltwater series timing or carbys?

Hi all.

I have a yamaha 130hp saltwater series V4 which i love. however I had a mate around to service it (a qualified outboard mechanic) and when he removed the spark plug caps on 2 of the cylinder heads (one at a time) they had no effect on the performance of the engine. when he removed the other 2 caps (again one at a time) they nearly killed the engine. also the engine run generally rough as i was told it should sound like a sewing machine when running perfectly.

we checked the timing and all 4 cylinders are dead on TDC. ran a compression test and all compresson is perfect. visual inspection of the carbys showed they were still really clean.

so my questions are:

1) should the timing be spot on TDC for all cylinders?
    2) could the timing be the reason for my rough running?
    3) what the hell should i do about it?

Thanks guys, looks forward to nutting this one out.

Nick

clean/rebuild carbs

Comment

seems more like you have a slight spark problem, seeing as two plugs removed makes no difference, have you replaced the spark plugs and/or the leads on those two cylinders, have you performed a spark test? you cannot just "look" at carbies, they need to be stripped and rebuilt with new gaskets and so on, buy a genuine manual for your motor and do some trouble shooting before you start pulling things to bits

Comment

plugs were replaced when the engine was serviced so theyre no more than 5 hours old. the only reason i dont think it would be a carby issue is that there is 2 carbys on top and 2 carby on the bottom, each running the cylinder directly behind it. if there was an issue with the carbys i would have thought it would be both tiop cylinder or both bottom cylinders, not both the left ones considering they are running off 'serparate' carbys.

Not sure if a spark test was done, what does that involve?

Comment

***, thanks for all the supports guys...

Comment

If you don't "think" you have spark then by a spark tester to be sure. Gotts start somewhere.
            1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
            1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Working...
            X