97 200hp ss knocks at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 200hp ss knocks at idle

1997 200hp knocks at idle but seems to go away above 1500 rpm. Compression is 100-112. plugs seem to be a little wet. Checked water pump and pulled up on shaft and reseated to make sure it wasnt play in the shaft. Started it up with the lower unit off for a second and still heard knock. fuel pumps have only about 100hrs on them and less than 2 years old. my son did run it dry on fuel right before all this started.

knock at idel

are the three washers above the water pump impeller

Comment

yes there are washers the wave washer seemed a bit flat but they are there. I also pulled the lower unit out and ran it for a second to make sure it wasnt play in the shaft and it still did it

Comment

I've heard that a bad or failing fuel pump can make a knocking sound...might be worth a look-see?

Comment

removed plugs and turned flywheel so pistons where tdc and on the downward movement, held flywheel and pushed on piston with a wood rod. found movement in port side top cylinder and all the others had no play or movement. does this mean a bad wrist pin????? thha also happens to be the one with the lowest compresion. about 10% difference from the others

Comment

Sounds like time to tear it down to see what happened to that one and look closely at everything else

Comment

how difficult is this tear down is this something i can do. should i rebuild the entire powerhead or just fix the damaged wrist pin and cylinder. and do they sell a kit for an entire rebuild

Comment

that is a loose wrist pin

Comment

Working...
                X