DF70 Starting Problems_advice Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF70 Starting Problems_advice Please!

I'm posting in hopes of preventing myself from getting scammed or perhaps I'll just learn that I need to get my billfold out.
    I just purchased a used 2004 Alumacraft Navigator 165 with a 2004 70HP 2 stroke Yamaha. I know the previous owner and it has no more than 50 hours of use and it has see almost no use in the last 2 years.
    It was very hard starting the day I made the purchase and it is almost impossible to start when cold/overnight. If I use the manual emergency choke under the hood it starts right up. Once it starts it will restart instantly for the rest of the day. The Prime start module was bench tested by mechanic A and was found to be completely functional. Mechanic A consulted with a Yami certified guy(we'll call him Mechanic B) in a nearby town and was told that the Prime start modules almost never go bad and he suggested that he replace the diaphragm in the middle carb. Which he did. I was told that the motor started just fine after that with no emergency choking needed. I was not able to pick the boat up for about 2 weeks so when I went to get it yesterday I asked them to start it for me. No go! Mechanic A had to use the emergency choke to get it going although he insists that he didn't need to do that when he last tried it about 5 days prior (although he did remark that it was very warm mid 90s the last time he tried) He was obviously embarrassed that it didn't start for me so he charged me nothing and sent me to Yami certified Mechanic B. I just got a call from the service writer and they would like to replace the entire center carb for $600+. I inquired as to why the whole carb needed replacing. I was told that according to Yami technical assistance when the prime start and diaphragm on the middle carb have been ruled out as the problem then the next suggested course of action is to replace the whole carb, prime start module and all. Like I said before this engine has at most 50 hours on it. Any thoughts from the gurus out there?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    sweetlightphoto
    Last edited by sweetlightphoto; 08-02-2011, 02:44 PM. Reason: bad grammer

Well, the carbs may need cleaning, but I just don't see replacing a carb, and your carb is fine since it runs good after the first cold start in the morning. Maybe that middle carb needs cleaning in the prime start circuit area. Do you have your starting procedure down right? Pump primer bulb until hard, neutral throttle lever in closed/down position, emergency lanyard in place, crank on motor for about 3 or 4 seconds, stop for a few seconds, then crank again. Don't just keep cranking on and on, or it'll run your battery down. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
    X