250s spitting water and alarm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250s spitting water and alarm.

Regarding 2001 250s....is it normal for them to spit water our of the vent on the throat of the engines? Port engine spits randomly, Starboard does rarely. Also, after running at cruise then throttling back to no wake speed, Starboard engine temp alarm comes on. Any connection between the two?

Mitch,
    Are your motors carbed or fuel injected? What do you mean by "vent on the throat of the engines" ? Do you mean air intake or relief holes on back of upper casing?
    Ken K

Comment

some small amounts of water come out of the throat exhaust outlet i believe. Not sure about the alarm

Comment

Sorry it's taken so long to reply....I mean the relief port on the casing. She spits water out every now and then.

Comment

Oh, yeah...fuel imjected.

Comment

Mitch,
            It is normal to have a little water "spitting" out the relief holes - mine does the same thing - sometimes none at all.
            When the pressure relief valve opens, it allows cooling water to bypass the water jackets and dump out the relief holes. This should happen when the water pressure goes above approx 20 psi in the water jackets, or it will also happen if the PRV gets stuck partially open because of mineral deposit buildup or if the PRV spring gets weak or broken.
            If the PRV opens prematurely, then needed cooling water will bypass the jackets, and an overheat condition can occur.
            When you get an overheat alarm, you can have someone look at the relief holes, and if water is just dumping out, then you probably have a mal-functioning PRV. Remove and inspect and clean per the Yamaha shop manual.
            If water is not dumping out the relief holes when the alarm sounds, then you have either a weak water pump, or a stuck thermostat, or clogged up water jackets.
            If it has been at least three years since last water pump repair, I would do it.
            Also, thermostats are fairly easy to remove and inspect, clean (they can get clogged also with mineral deposits and stick) and test - again, per the Yamaha shop manual.
            Good luck and let us know how you come out [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
            Ken K

Comment

Excellent info, Ken...I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X