Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Trim/Tilt Meter

Good afternoon,

Does anyone have any idea how I can re-calibrate my digital trim/tilt meter? Everything was fine and dandy til the last time I used my boat, now when the motor is completely down, the meter only shows it being trimmed about half way. Suggestions?

The trim sender is adjustable at the engine. If it will not adjust then it is faulty or on some models the plastic cam is broken.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

dyckster,
      First check the trim sensor arm to see if it is sticking. Raise the outboard all the way up with the power t/t and drop down the locking lever for safety. Locate the trim sensor that is mounted on the swivel bracket just behind the steering/tilt tube. Squirt a little WD-40 or equivalent on the arm where it comes out of the housing of the sensor. Now move the arm by hand thru out it's range - you are trying to break loose any corrosion buildup that may be causing the arm to stick. You can watch the trim gauge when someone does this for you to see what kind of readout you are getting - ignition must be on.
      Now, unlock the tilt locking lever and move the outboard up and down to see if it is reading correctly. If not, check the trim sensor ring clamp that is located on the steering/tilt tube. It has a cam that the sensor arm hits when the motor is moved up and down. That ring can split and rotate so that the sensor arm is not hitting the cam at the right time. The ring is held in place by a stainless philips-head screw. You can loosen the screw and rotate the cam, if the cam is not split - if it is, then it is not expensive to replace (one of the few parts that Yamaha sells for under $10 .
      Hope this helps,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your help!

Comment

Working...
        X