Yamaha 150HP Saltwater series Start problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 150HP Saltwater series Start problems

Our outboard starts 1st time when on dry land, as soon as we put it in the water it will start and run well untill we stop and turn it off. It will not restart until we lift motor up motor and wait about an hour, then it will start again 1st time.
    Has anyone got any ideas what is causing this.
    We have replaced fuel tank, filters water catcher to no avail.

Are you getting power to the starter when you crank or nothing at all?

Comment

Getting power and its turning the crank ,but will not kick over. It sounds like it's flooded ,but cannot smell any fuel when we take the cowling off. The Primer bulb goes soft when we try to start and I have no idea where the fuel is going.

Comment

model number/year ??

Comment

Hi Jb, I am not sure what year (I think early 90's) but the numbers I have is SO 19830 and Model is 210BH. Does this mean anything to you?

Comment

That does not look like any model # I have ever seen.
            Look at the tag on the mounting bracket. Should have Model and serial #

Comment

"The Primer bulb goes soft when we try to start and I have no idea where the fuel is going."

Maybe it's draining back into the fuel tank. Did you try changing the primer bulb?

Do you have an internal tank? If so there should be a fixture between the tank and the hose with an anti-siphon ball inside. I hear those fixtures go bad.

If it's an external tank, try changing the connections... but, I would try replacing that primer bulb first. The anti-siphon balls in there go bad as well.

Comment

The primer bulb works most of the time and stays hard. It's only after we put the boat in the water and spend about 30min to an hour cruising around and then stop. When we try to restart, that is when we have the problem. We prime the bulb, try and restart but the crank just keeps turning without even a hint it's going to start.
                One thing I have noticed is that the fuel filter is only just over half full. Does this matter or does it have to be full without any air in it?

Comment

if it is not full enough the pumps cant pull gas, either a restriction or air leak

Comment

Thanks JB. I will retrace the fuel line and see if there is a leak or restriction.
                    We did have some bad fuel go through to the engine, so I might have to pull the Carburator out and give it a good clean.
                    I will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Working...
                    X