Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken and Sea Foam Treatment

Hey Ken,

Wonder if the Webmaster of this forum could create a "sticky" for your Sea Foam shock treatment?

BTW, is that treatment your own "home brew", or did you learn of it through another source?

tripleb,
    Yeah, I did a search to find my last post of the Seafoam formula, and the search engine could not find it. It's my post dated May 27,2005 to "CLL" under the thread "waterpump and maintenance question" dated May 26, 2005.
    No, I can't take credit for the formula - and to tell you the truth, I can't remember if I read it on this forum or over at maverickboats.net - and my apologies to the author.
    The formula is not set in concrete - that is just what I read and I tried it and it worked. I think "Hamfisted", a very well respected mechanic and member of this board, uses a different formula and that works for him.
    Seafoam, like Yamaha RingFree, is just a strong detergent that, when mixed with fuel, will dissolve carbon, gum, and varnish through out the fuel system and combustion chamber. The "normal" concentration of Seafoam is one oz to one gallon of fuel. This will keep an already clean system clean and keep carbon buildup at bay, assuming the carbon buildup is not bad to start with.
    I like to do a "shock" treatment with the detergent once a year, and I run a 16 oz can in with approx 16 gallons of fuel about every third 16 gallons. Again, this is just my procedure - some outboard owners (and I mean primarily 2-stroke owners) like to run a detergent all the time. Yamaha recommends you run their RingFree all the time, and some owners swear by this. Personally, I think that is an overkill.
    Hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Hey Ken,

No help needed ..... I have been using SeaFoam in my outboards for a number of years now. Have not started in the the new Yammie yet, I will the next fill up, after my 20 hour dealer inspection.

There have been a number of requests for your shock treatment, that is why I wondered if a "sticky" could be posted by the Webmaster.

Comment

tripleb,
        Yeah, that would be nice - I got tired (lazy ) of re-writing the procedure every other day, so I just starting making reference to my "last post".
        I'm sure there is some way to "copy" and "paste" the procedure from a stored file - I just haven't figured it out yet - not too up on all the "html" and "ubb" tricks yet - next time my son comes to visit me (that's usually when his car needs fixing or he needs more money for college), I will get him to show me how - he knows all that stuff pretty well.
        Later [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Hey Ken,

Not certain about the "html" and "ubb" tricks but you could just open notepad, type in your Seafoam Shock treatment formula and then save it to your desktop. When needed, open the notepad file and simply copy and paste into your forum post.

Or, you could use your formula as your signature for this forum.

Comment

Ken,
            I tried the shock treatment the other night and just had a chance to get the boat out today. When I firwst took off it acted like it was cured and then went right back.I did get about 4200 rpm's out of it so I guess I will have to get into the carbs.Is there any chance that the fuel filter could be gummed up and cause this.I am going to replace it anyway but just have not yet.I will let you know the outcome I just don't have a lot time to work on it so it may take me a while.
            Thanks

Comment

Found this using search engine and the word seafoam!!-----I use to use RingFree all the time and had the same carbon buildup as if I didn't use it at all. A friend of mine recommended switching to SeaFoam instead of RingFree and I've been carbon free ever since. It seems much more effective than RingFree. You can find SeaFoam at most NAPA stores as well as CarQuest and Northern Tools stores for about $5 a can. To do a shock treatment just empty out your Racor fuel filter and refill it with straight SeaFoam and run the motor on the garden hose at idle for 10 minutes then shut it off for 30 minutes then run it for another 10 minutes or until it stops smoking like a mesquito fogger. If you have a carbon buildup you may likely see chunks dropping out of the prop exhaust so don't be alarmed. After that you should just use it in the gas tank as a fuel stabilizer to keep carbon off.

Comment

That was a post dated, July14,2004. Had to do with cleaning an oxygen sensor. Posted by "hamfisted"! Hope hamfisted doesn't mind a quote!!! jps

Comment

gadgetguy,
                  Yeah, your fuel filter could be stopped up - pretty easy to check.
                  The shock treatment is not a cure-all. If your carbs are gummed up enough, then a tear down and kit install is probably in order.
                  Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                  Ken K

Comment

tripleb,
                    Yeah, I tried the "copy" and "paste" but it didn't work for me - will figure out something.
                    Thanks,
                    Ken K

Comment

jps,
                      Yeah, "Hamfisted" has a different procedure using the Seafoam. I have a pre-mix, so I cannot use his method. Like I've said before, there are different procedures - just gotta' find one that works for you .
                      Good luck,
                      Ken K

Comment

Working...
                      X