changed impeller now motor stuck in reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changed impeller now motor stuck in reverse

hoping someone can help me out. I have a late 80's 9.9hp yamaha and I just changed the water pump but now when i crank the motor up it cranks up with the prop spinning in reverse. pulling shifter into any position(fwd, rev, neutral) and the prop is still spinning in reverse. checked shifter rod and it is definately connected. lil help?

drop it back down, put both in neutral and reassemble, aligning driveshaft, watertube and shift rod correctly

Comment

I did the same thing over the weekend and didn't realize it til I hit the boat ramp... argh.

Put your shifter in neutral, remove the foot, then with a pair of pliers turn the shift pin on the foot in the neutral position. You'll know is in the right place because you'll be able to spin your prop freely. Reassemble the foot and test it out before you hit the ramp.

Comment

Originally posted by jb123 View Post
        drop it back down, put both in neutral and reassemble, aligning driveshaft, watertube and shift rod correctly
        Many thanks i'll give it a shot!!

Comment

thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnRennie View Post
            I did the same thing over the weekend and didn't realize it til I hit the boat ramp... argh.

Put your shifter in neutral, remove the foot, then with a pair of pliers turn the shift pin on the foot in the neutral position. You'll know is in the right place because you'll be able to spin your prop freely. Reassemble the foot and test it out before you hit the ramp.
            Ok guys hoping you can help me out again. I took the foot off again and I can't seem to get the foot in neutral. No matter what position I put the shift rod in, the prop and drive shaft still move together and the prop does not spin freely. I'm concerned I may have screwed something up down inside the foot when I was taking it off. Any suggestions? thanks again

Comment

you SHOULD feel 3 positions, go for the middle one

Comment

unless you pulled something apart that did not need to come apart, the gear internals are not affected by a water pump replacement, BUT the shift rod can be turned (as mentioned) and needs to be correctly positioned before assembly to the upper leg.

Comment

Working...
                X