1996 Yamaha C40 w/ Model 703 Controls Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Yamaha C40 w/ Model 703 Controls Problem

Hi -- New to this forum, so please excuse me being a newbie! And -- thanks in advance for your help!

I recently had a new-to-me 1996 C40 with remote 703 controls and power tilt/trim installed on my recently refurbished 1974 Boston WHaler Sport 13.

The motor runs great but the controls/cables seem to not be. My local Boston Whaler dealer installed/mounted everything for me. The problem begins when I started up the motor at the dock yesterday. I had the neutral throttle lever in the up position during starting with the shifter locked in neutral. As soon as the motor kicked in, it went in to gear -- while the shift lever was still locked in neutral! My buddy and I both checked and it was indeed locked in neutral when this happened.

Once under way, the shifter seemed to work well, except I couldn't put the motor in to reverse. It grinded something horrible. But, we ran the motor for about 1.5 hours going out/in all total out on the Eastern Shore of Virginia.

Funny thing is, that when I got the boat home and flushed out the motor w/ the muffs/hose, the sifter worked flawelssly with none of the issues occurring as I described above.

This has happened the two times I've run the boat since having the motor/controls mounted and rigged/installed The controls are the originals to the motor, so same vintage.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again, everyone!!!

Bruce

Need to check control cable adjustments at engine and make sure cables are locked into place, if all is good then check cable connections inside control box.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X