pre 2004 outboards and ethanol fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre 2004 outboards and ethanol fuel

I am currently looking at purchasing a 2004 boat with a pair of Yamaha four stroke 300 hp engines with 160 hours. A friend has stated that I should be concerned about these engines made prior to 2006 and using fuel containing ethanol containing fuel. Any merit to his comments? Should I be concerned? Thanks
    Mike

That sounds like a great go fast rig.

We have an '04 TLRD90. Owner's manual states compatible with 10% ethanol, but we found the carbs clogged with crap. Apparently everything upstream of the outboard got eaten by the ethanol. Also, any varnish that built up before the ethanol fuel use also got loosened and washed into the carbs. It ran like crap until I cleared and cleaned to perfection. If I had better experience, I'd have it in a day with the help of carefully ordered gaskets and a cold six, but I had to make three passes before I got there. The prior owner showed me $300 in receipts from a reputable marina for cleaning. Looks like he then me was taken for a ride. After that, we're left with a near new low hour outboard.

IMHO, all outboards will suffer the wrath of ethanol eventually. I suggest taking a test ride and paying close attention to idle, hole shot and WOT rpms. Look for easy starting, smooth idle, making max rpms and performance that matches bulletins. If you go for it, I'd change out all fuel lines and add or renew the 10 micron water separating filter. Much cheaper than a failed trip. Beyond that, get an idea of the cost for rebuilding the carbs.

In the end, we pays our money and takes our chances.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the information. On my other boats, I am persistent with using enzymes and filters and the correct fuel lines to prevent any problems. You are right--caveat empter
      Mike

Comment

Working...
      X