Rough Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Idle

I have a 2000 Yamaha 115 and just cleaned the carbs. The gaskets were rotted and all were replaced. My question is that before and after the cleaning the idle at low "no wake" speed is rough. What can I do? Is it the carb screws? Do I need to do a link and sync? Engine runs great. Starts as soon as the key is turned. Just seems to shimmy and shake a low speeds.
    Thanks...
    Last edited by lowcountry1; 07-19-2011, 10:47 PM.

Had the same after cleaning the carbs on our TLRD90. Went back in and found the rubber plug on one pilot jet fell loose. I'm thinking crud may have also got loose during cleaning in the short fuel lines downstream of the pump and clogged the pilot jets.

Yamaha's manual suggests compressed air and I found store brand carb cleaner works wonders. I also ran a bristle from a brass brush through the pilot jet path. if you search for rodbolt17, you'll find much better guidance. Put a six on ice, send the wife shopping, be meticulous and take no short cuts.

Ethanol is the scourge for marine engines. If the lines are four years old, I suggest replacing the entire fuel path from the tank to the carbs so you don't clean them for the next load of crap and adding a 10 micron water separating filter if you don't have one. Then get religious about fuel treatment.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X