Yamaha Multi Function gauges...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Multi Function gauges...

Can anyone give me a clue as to why my multi-function gauges would go out (Indicators "numbers" go hazzy, or wrong readings). I've checked wiring, etc. This is my 2nd boat with dual Yamaha engines, love them but in both cases the gauges have "gone out" after 2.5 - 3 years. ALWAYS the same... Tachs go out, first one then the other (sometimes a month or more later). Followed by the Speed (MPH only usually) and then the Multi-engine Fuel Mgmt (the really $$$ unit)??
    ALWAYS hazzy readings, then the go blank...
    I don't mind replacing them, again, but would sure like to know what is causing this problem? Is it something I'm doing wrong or I could correct? Really frustrated in SW Fla... thanks.

Louie,
    I gonna' say that prolonged exposure to sunlight is doing a number on the lcd readout - protect your gauges from direct sunlight when not in use.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken,
      Being it's been on two diferent boats, both with t-top and bimini tops, I had hoped the manufacture would allow for that, but...
      I'll try to cover them (after I replace them again). I've always been worried about generating to much heat with a cover directly over the instruments.
      Louie

Comment

Buy a console cover so you can cover the whole console not just the gauges. Everything electronic is sensitive to direct sunlight.

Mike

Comment

Louie,
          Go with a white cover, not black, and I think you will be ok on the heat - just make sure the console and gauges are dry before you cover it all to keep down mildew and corrosion. Better yet, build yourself a carport or garage and keep your boat in there .
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Working...
          X