Help picking the correct fuel filter element

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help picking the correct fuel filter element

I need your help purchasing the correct fuel filter for my 2008 VZ250TLR.

I need the fuel filter element located in the clear bowl just behind the VST tank. The problem I have is it seems there are 2 options in the parts break down, see "13" and "14" in the link below.

http://www.boats.net/images/diagrams.../5095/0014.png

My element does not look as long as the one listed but it is very hard to tell from the picture.

Thanks!!!!!

The Yamaha service manual for our '04 TLRD90 suggests cleaning the on engine fuel filter. I sprayed it and the bowl with store brand carb cleaner and back flushed with compressed air. Since the stuff is pretty aggressive, I don't like soaking for any duration.

IMHO, that filter is more a screen. If you don't have one, I suggest adding a 10 micron water separating fuel filter upstream and leaving the one on the outboard as a last line of defense. Sierra Marine offers a kit for about 30 buck through online retailers that includes a spare. They look like spin-on oil filters. For a bit more, you can get a kit with a drain bowl. Good friend and mentor Cpt. Rudy suggests changing every three years for the recreational boater and every year for the tradesman. A replacement cartridge costs betwen 5 and 8 bucks. BTW, a micron is a micron and the dirt will never know what manufacturer made the filter.

Also, if your fuel hose is more than four years old, I suggest a complete renewal from tank to outboard including tank pickup. Much cheaper and less time than a failed trip.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

My 2nd on what Throrope said. After you install the fuel/water separator you'll notice almost no water or trash in the motor mounted filter, but it's a great back-up filter. I replaced my cartridge after about 3 years, hack-sawed it open just to see, not a whole lot of trash in it, but it's better to change now and then, like with an oil filter. I do drain my carbs a couple of times a year and at winter shut-down, just to be dead sure there's nothing in those float chambers. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
      X