1986 yamaha pro v 150 overheats at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 yamaha pro v 150 overheats at idle

I have a Yamaha Pro V 150 that overheats at idle. It used to be a salt water boat. I bought it in july of 2010 and used it every weekend without trouble , in fresh water lakes, except that near the end of the boating season it began to run rough. I took it in to a mechanic for a basic tuneup in feb of 2011. that is when the trouble started. I took it to the lake the end of april for the first time since the tune up and it overheated within 15 min at high speed. Alarms went off. I shut it down, trailered it and took it back to the mechanic. He found that the water pump housing had MELTED. He said they found out the hard way that you can not run this engine on muffs. They replaced the water pump and the impeller and said all was ok. Next time I took it out it ran ok at 1500 rpm and up but over heated at idle. Took it back and they replaced the popit valve. It is still overheating at idle. Does fine at approx 1200 rpm and above. When I go to idle,800 rpm, approx 2 min later, it overheats. What can I do to correct this. Don't trust the mechanic anymore. Please help!

waterpump and housing
    stats
    PRV
    bout 130 in parts,do all 3 yourself if it doesnt fix then youll need to clean out waterjackets

Comment

how do i clean out the water jackets?

Comment

Sorry, I am new to outboards, what did you mean by stats and PRV. I assume stats on the pump and housing but i figured they replaced it with the right replacement parts. If the pump, housing and impeller were new after only an hour of use why would they need replaced again. I was also told that I could not run this engine on muffs 'cause it would destroy the pump, is this true. It is a 1986 Yamaha pro V 150. I know nothing is ever easy but what is the easiest way to clean the water passages. I took it to the lake today it did great till I idled at 1000 rpm and about 4 min later the alarm went off. Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

Working...
        X