ignition key left on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition key left on

My iqnition key was left on by accident. Killed the battery of course. Will I have any damage to the engine as a result?
    Last edited by Mullet1011; 07-16-2011, 07:28 AM. Reason: mispelled word

even though we have no idea what engine you have, I have never heard of a dead battery harming one. Just make sure you do not hook up a fully charged battery backwards as that will cause harm to most

Comment

iqnition key

2005 F115. Thank you for the reply. My son used the boat and somehow left the key on after he flushed it. I was worried about the coils being powered up but not firing so to speak. Thanks again.

Comment

everything is electronic now a days so it should not hurt. Even the electric fuel pumps should not keep running without a signal that the motor is turning.

Comment

Done that enough times with enough toys. Never did more than damage the battery. I've killed a couple car batteries that way. Apparently, they don't survive more than a couple complete discharges.

I suggest a real slow trickle charge to bring it back. Then keep an eye on it. IMHO, if it didn't take a full charge, discharges early or seems weak, I'd replace it before it leaves you stranded.

Comment

Working...
          X