loose wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose wiring

I have a 2003 SX200TXRB outboard with a YES expiration date of 3/22/08. When the cowling is removed, on the port side there are a number or wiring harnesses with multiple connections in each. In two of the harnesses, there is a single wire (light gray) that is unattached that have connectors (one male/one female) which clearly mate to one another and not to any wire in the same harness. I suspect these got unplugged over the winter when the engine was winterized. I just noticed this, but the engine hasn't had any noticeable problems in the 30 hours I've put on it this summer. The electronic trim gauge hasn't worked this summer, though, and I was wondering whether this might be the reason. Also, are these wires meant to be plugged together, which clearly seems to be the case, and for what purpose? I've been reluctant to connect them and start the motor simply to experiment. Also, any other connections I should check for the trim gauge (Yamaha model)? Thanks for your advice.

pfenwick,
    The trim sensor harness is made of three wires - pink, black, and orange (this is on my 2000 C115 - yours should be the same). This wire harness leads to a four pin connector under the hood. The fourth pin of that connector has a grey wire coming to it - that wire is from the thermo switches to signal an overheat condition.
    The other side of this connector has a four wire harness that goes to the console - all four go to the Yamaha digital tach on my 2000 Pathfinder. Three of the wires are the signals for the trim indicator part of the gauge, and the grey wire is the signal for overheat condition that is displayed on the gauge.
    The grey wire you are talking about, may or may not be the one I am describing here. But you can follow the grey wire - both ends of it and find out. Also, by unplugging the two wires that lead to either thermo switch and shorting them together with the ignition on should sound the alarm and the digital tach should light up the overheat symbol.
    Your trim indicator should be working whether the grey wire is connected or not. You can raise the outboard all the way and drop down the locking lever for safety and get to the trim sensor. It is bolted to the motor swivel bracket right behind the tilt/steering tube. Try squirting some WD-40 or equivlent on the sensor arm where it comes out of the housing. The arm is notorious for sticking because of salt/mineral/corrosion buildup. Work the arm thru its full range and have someone look at the trim gauge (ignition on) to see if the trim indication changes - it should - if not, then either sensor is bad, or associated wiring is bad, or trim gauge is bad. If trim gauge works when you move it by hand, but no indication when you use the power t/t, then trim sensor ring clamp that the sensor arm hits may be broken. The ring clamp is attached to the steering tube.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

The grey wire is usually for the overheat sensors. I think it shares the trim sensor harness bundle. I guess you haven't had any overheats lately either? I would plug 'em in.

Mike........ Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks Ken & Hamfisted - the trim sensor ring was broken, which explained that problem. Also, the wiring was as you described and is now connected as it should be. Pfenwick

Comment

Working...
        X