oil level in 4 stroke 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil level in 4 stroke 150

I have a new 05 150 4 stroke just passed 105 hours. Had the 20 hour service at dealer which included oil change. Last week I fished all week and between hours 70 and 100 the oil level indicated on the dip stick doubled. I checked it several times during that period and noticed a steady rise in the oil level. No indication of water in the oil color was normal. Could the injectors be leaking fuel into the oil sump? I don't know if the injection is common rail type but have seen this problem in disels before. Another thought could the fuel pump be leaking into the crankcase? Have also seen this in other types of engines. I could not tell that the oil had a strong odor of gas but I am concerned that this could be a problem in the making. I plan to do the 100 hr oil change this weekend. Any guesses?
    thanks in advance

It should be still under warranty, get the dealer to check it out.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I noticed the same thing in my 150. I called Yamaha and they said that in order to get the correct oil level the engine has to be tilted up for 30 minutes and then lowered and checked. Something about a second reservoir? I drained the excess oil out and the level has stabalized for the last 50 hours.

Comment

Working...
      X