90 hp 1984 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 hp 1984 2 stroke

Hi everyone, this year I am finding my motor kocking out while running at approx 3000rpm or any rpm for that matter. A few squeezes of the fuel line bubble though, and the engine will start up again and run fine , till it happens again , in a few minutes. I have also run the boat quite a while without it happening. One time I squeezed the fuel line bulb just before the engine quit, and it went right back up to rpm again . Time to replace this fuel line? I have a new water fuel sep and new gas with the additives put in.

Sounds like you're ready for a new fuel pump, about $50, on-line or from boat dealer, very easy 2 screw replacement. The diaphragms wear out and get holes in them after so many years. Good Luck!

Comment

replaced fuel pump

I replaced the fuel pump and the lines from the gas tank to the fuel/water seperator and got a new squeeze bubble and installed it between the fuel /water sep and the engine, new line there too. also replaced an inline fuel filter and cleaned the fuel bowl. Now the engine will not even start at all, this is like 2 steps back after all that. any ideas

Comment

engine stops

I installed a second fuel bubble near the gas tank and the engine started like before all this. took it out and found that engine stalls at low rpm and runs fine at about 2000 to 2500 rpm but at low rpm your squeezing the fuel bulb to keep the engine runnning. Anything more on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Sounds like an air leak.

At high rpm's, the suction for fuel could pull enough that an air leak won't cause excessive problems and you may be running at more throttle than before without knowing, but at low rpm, you could be getting more air than fuel.

Since you recently replaced the fuel hose, you may have disturbed an O-ring on its last leg that then gave up the ghost. I haven't had an issue, but many curse the quick connect at the outboard. I did loose the plastic pickup in the tank. Got brittle and broke off in the middle of the sound. A crack there may do the same.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
          X