Starter Motor Slow to Engage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Motor Slow to Engage

I have a 1987 Yamaha 115 ETXH that has run like a top for me for the past 4 1/2 years. This year I have had a few problems with the engine. The first problem involved severe idling problems at low speed that were completely resolved through a carb rebuid.

However, I continue to experience what I can only describe as the Starter Motor is Slow to Engage. I have a brand new battery and recently installed a new starter motor, but I continue to experience a hesitation from when I turn the key and when the starter motor engages.

While the Starter Motor always does engage, this is the first year I have experience this problem. I have looked and cleaned all of the connections for the Solenoid and the Starter Relay Assembly but continue to experience this hesitation even with the new starter motor.

The best way to describe it is when I turn the key to start the engine it takes approximately 1 -1 1/4 seconds for the starter motor to engage and spin. While it always spins there never was this delay.

I wonder if it is the starter solenoid showing signs of failing? Any ideas?

rmart,
    As long as the starter engages the flywheel within 1&1/4 seconds and starts the motor ok, then I would not worry too much about it.
    You say you have a new battery and a new starter - the only thing left is the starter relay - and that probably is where the delay is.
    If you want to find out where the delay is, attach an analog voltmeter (one with a dial) to the starter relay contact that is the start signal - this would be the 12 volt command from the start switch - make sure that the 12 volt start signal from the switch is getting to the relay instantly. Now, monitor the relay output to the starter - this is the 12 volt power to the starter to tell it to get off its butt and start spinning. You may need two people to do this if you can't see the voltmeter dial from the console.
    Really, all of this is purely academic, as long as you are willing to accept the delay. The starter relay is the only place I can see where the delay might be.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken. Indeed I have a new starter and a brand new battery so those are not the problem here.

I was beginning to worry that the delay suggested a solenoid or starter assembly relay that was going to die any moment (which always tends to be the worst possible moment).

Any idea why the delay would just begin out of the blue like this?

Looking at the parts on Boats.net the "starter relay assembly" is only a $57.33 part and I may be inclined to just replace it to ensure no problems on the water at a future date.

Any other part anyone can think of to cause this delay?

Comment

Rmart, Its sounds like it could be your starter relay ,but don't over look your cables if yours are same year as your motor they could have internal corrosion causing a voltage drop, even if the look fine on outside.

Comment

original keyswitch ? checked main harness for any corrosion ? checked voltage gettin to starter?

Comment

A bad battery cable can cause problems. I had a friend who bought a new starter only to find out his cable had corroded on the inside.

Senkoboy

Comment

Thanks all for the replies and advice...the cables and keyswitch are also original 1987. While I don't see any corrosion on the outside...who knows on the inside. As far as voltage to the starter, I checked and appear to be getting full voltage from the battery.

Comment

Working...
              X