Stumped - 90HP 2 Stroke, 95, Can't Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped - 90HP 2 Stroke, 95, Can't Idle

It is not the fuel, carbs, CDI unit - can not get the engine to idle, it fires, but does not stay running. I got it to run one time at about 2K rpm, but not for long when I backed off. Coils, plugs, all good. Had it in the shop for 3 weeks, and they were not able to figure it out - it was a guessing **** to them too so got irritated and brought it home. The engine only has 400 hours on it, always serviced.

I had the starter switch go out on my 90's a couple of times. It would start/run but as soon as the key went to the normal run position the motor would die. Replaced the switch and all was well. After that I kept a few spare switches around and needed them for myself and several neighbors. They only seemed to burn out in the run position.
    Good luck

Comment

Just saying everything is not the problem does not give any info.
      What is the compression, in put voltages to CDI, output voltages of CDI, ohms of all devices, timing, etc.

If you want help provide all the info you can, or are you just guessing instead of testing things?

Comment

More Information

The motor will fire off once, turn key again and fires once, and this continues.
        More info, Check Lighting coil, charge coil, pulser coil, CDI unti, all voltages and ohms appear to be within specs. Acutally took the electrical wiring and traced every wire, test to gnd, to make sure nothing was pinched, all grounds tested good too.
        Fuel system pressure is good.
        Compression is good and close on all cylinders.
        New plugs.

Comment

Sounds like a bad ignition switch, giving these random, inconsistent problems.

Comment

Random

They really are not random, does the same thing all the time, fires - but that is it, does not run, going to look into ignition switch like you suggested.

Comment

Working...
            X