TILT and trim problem? any ideas please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TILT and trim problem? any ideas please

I have a small issue with the performance of my tilt and trim operation on my 2 stoke Yamaha 60hp, its around 1991 in terms of age, I think after a bit of playing around this weekend it may need the fluid topping up and it does not like tilting up with the assistance of me lifting it at the same, it makes all the right noises, - also the 2 x hydraulic (trim) rams don’t fully retract in on occasion leaving the outboard only halfway trimmed in without being able to be trimmed in fully

I also notice that that seals have seen better days and would benefit from being replaced if possible, and after loking at my service manual - I don’t have the Yamaha special tool to remove the caps of the rams

ollyit,
    Raise the motor as far as it will go with the power t/t. Drop down the locking lever in place for safety - if can't get motor high enough, then block by other means in case t/t loses hydraulic pressure and suddenly drops.
    Remove the filler cap on t/t reservoir and fill with t/t fluid (Dexron 2 - ATF will work) to the bottom of filler neck.
    Apply a thin coat of marine grease to both trim rams and tilt rams.
    To get the end caps off you need either Yamaha special tool or some kind of spanner face wrench.
    Or you can try to use a pair of channel locks or vise grips.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X