Timing light issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing light issues

Today while trying to check the timing on my 1994 C75 Yamaha, connected my el cheapo timing light to the battery ,connected up to the spark plug wire .Started the motor & pulled the trigger on timing light & I'm not getting any flashing from the timing light . Tried on the other plug wires & still dont get any flashing. I know the timing light is good because I tried it on a car & it works fine , any one know what might be the problem ?
    Thanks,

If it is an induction timing light you probably need to switch the direction that you are hooking it up on the plug wire, seems like mine did the same thing and reversing the direction even if the arrow says different, did the trick

Comment

My old actron has no arrow to indicate direction . But I will try reversing the inductive lead tomorrow when I get it to the lake .
      Last edited by vega7677; 07-05-2011, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Heres the latest on timing light, tried switching lead around , still the same no flashing . So I went to sears & bought a new timing light that is supposed to work on 2 or 4 cycle engines . Tried it this morning , works the same as the old one , no flashing . Am I not getting enough voltage to the CDI from the charge coils in the stator ? I dont have anything to check peak voltage , but the resintance values were ok on both the charge coils & pulsar coils . Any other way to check peak voltages .
        Thanks ,

Comment

What lead did you swap around?

If the motor will run then the light should pick it up.

Comment

I switched the inductive lead around , cant start it right now . I am waiting on a new fuel pump & new carb kits .
            Thanks ,
            Sherman

Comment

Working...
            X