alternator voltage regulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator voltage regulation

The output voltage from the alternator of my two F60B four strokes is too high for my single bank of two 8D gel batteries. A 245 watt solar panel has a user adjustable con*****er that limits the voltage to 14.1volts in order to prevent gassing these sealed batteries. Is there any way to adjust the high voltage output of these outboards down to a safe level of my batteries? I used a seperate alternator con*****er on a liveaboard boat with a belt driven alternator. If proper regulation is impossible, is there a safe way to simply disconnect the charging circuit and rely entirely on the user regulated solar system; although it would really be nice to have the outboards producing about 13.9-14.0 volts.

Second unrelated question is how to fog these engines for storage. It appears that the air silencers cannot be removed without removing the carbs; therefore, there appears to be no access to spray through the throats of the carbs. I now run a 20 to 1 mixture of fuel treatment for 10 minutes, but could add a 20 to 1 mix of two stroke oil if this would do the same thing as fogging spray. I would like to prevent any rust AND the junk that seems to partially block the idle jets after six months of storage each year! I empty the fuel tanks, fuel lines and carb bowls. Any suggestions appreciated. Please copy any replies to bottomsjoh@gmail.com.
    Thanks for your help. John

gel cell and maint free batteries are specifically NOT reccomended by yamaha.
    simply unplug the stator and the regulatos are no longer charging.

Comment

alternator voltage regulation

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      gel cell and maint free batteries are specifically NOT reccomended by yamaha.
      simply unplug the stator and the regulatos are no longer charging.
      Is there any way to reduce the voltage output of the regulator? Is it possible to reduce the stator AC output to the regulator or even limit the regulator output in some manner to about 14.0 VDC. If there is no electronic means of voltage regulation, would any harm be done to the engine by running either the current in the stator line or the regulator output through a manual switch
      located at the pilot station or even a relay that opens the circuit automatically when the voltage rises to 14 VDC?

Having some engine charging would be helpful on cloudy days or nights when my 240 W solar panel is not producing enough current to keep the batteries up.

My batteries are located where adding water is very difficult.

A more intelligent replacement regulator is needed or someway to "fool" the factory one into lowering the voltage. Any suggestions appreciated.

Do newer larger engines have an alternator on which an after market con*****er can be used that allows user set points for charging?

Comment

it comes down to the gel cells.
        yamaha SPECIFICALLY says NO gel cell batteries.
        after that I cant help ya.

Comment

Working...
        X