Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90HP No Neutral or Forward - ONLY REVERSE

Good Afternoon!

Today we were tubing as we have for years now, but today the engine was accidentally trimmed too high (wife driving) and the tow rope was cut - the control was immediately pulled from 1/2 forward to nuetral but probaly into reverse before it was shut off. Bottom line - the engine will start and run, however, it will run in reverse in all three positions now - Forward Neutral and Reverse. There is no Forward or Neutral. I got it loaded and back to the house. Took the cover off and the linkage and the throtal control seem to be working. The prop, in neutral, will not turn. Please advise!

Thanks, KP

I would disconnect the linkage at the motor and than manually move the shift lever through its positions while checking the prop for the correct rotations. If they are ok, check the control linkage again. I couldn't tell you what the linkage levers on the motor are connected to so perhaps someone else can jump in here?

Comment

ok - checked linkage (Picture) as well as the shaft going down towards the lower unit. Made a mark on it while the motor was in Neutral. When shifter into Forward - the shaft turns to the right - when the shifter is in the Reverse - the shaft turns to the left. So far so good. I have taken the lower unit off now and there is a short shaft and a long shaft (pic - teeth look good). The short teethed shaft (picture) that will normally go into the shaft from the top of the shifter putting the motor into gear looks good - no teeth missing. However, it will only tur into 2 positions- assumption is there needs to be 3 as in Forward, Neutral, Reverse. At this point it seems to be inside the lower part of the lower unit - thoughts?

Thanks, KP
      Attached Files

Comment

From what you describe. I don't think it is necessary to go any farther. I would now look at the shifting linkage to see if it moves the shift lever on the motor to the appropriate position as far as reverse and forward is concerned. The neutral position will be between these two. Adjusting of the linkage rod is done by moving the lock nut on the linkage at the rear and checking to make sure the linkage has not come loose on the operator's lever.

You said that all of the teeth look good on the shaft and that is why I think that it came out of adjustment during the accident. If you had hit something, it would be indicated on your prop. I don't know if you have a shear type pin on the prop or a rubber insert. You might want to pull the prop as long as you are this far into it. Should be ok though if you can turn the prop by hand but what the heck. I would do it to satisfy my curiosity.

The movement on the shifting linkage is very short so don't over adjust it. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X