F-250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-250

My F-250 is putting out 13.8 volts with the radio, sounder, GPS on , is this sufficent ? It runs Great.!!

Nick,
    Assuming that your starting battery does not have a bad cell in it, the charging circuit of that F-250 should charge it up to approx 14.4 volts after it has been running for say fif**** minutes after startup.
    The alternator of that beast is probably rated at least 30 amp - and even with the accessories you mentioned, 14.4 volts should be easily attainable.
    If your battery is weak, then it might not be capable of charging to 14.4 - 13.8 is satisfactory
    if the battery is starting the motor with ease. If the battery is at least three years old, then you might want to replace it.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken,, it starts the engine with ease,, and shows no sign of weakness, but i was looking for more then 13.8 , will underway,, Cranks very fast.

Comment

Nick,
        I just noticed your rig is a 2005 model - so your battery should be in good shape.
        If it were me, I would get a good quality voltmeter and check battery voltage against what you are reading off your console gauge - could be the gauge is half volt off.
        Industry standard for charging a starting battery is about 14.4 volts max. On my 2000 C115, the battery voltage readout on my Yamaha digital gauge right after start up is approx 13.6 volts and climbs up to 14.4 after about five minutes running. The alternator on my 115 is rated at 20 amp, I believe.
        Maybe Yamaha has dropped the max regulated voltage on their rectifier/regulator module - I don't know. But even if they have, 13.8 is sufficient in my opinion.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Ken, the motor really cranks quick no issues,, its seems strong,, but i was just hearing the the rumors that the f-250 is sometimes voltage sensitive, and wondered if you have heard that silly theroy ?

Comment

Nick,
            I am not personally familiar with the F-250, but I can't imagine Yamaha, or any other mfg., making an outboard that would be "voltage sensitive" - that's why there are voltage regulators, limiters, etc. in the way of solid state electronics built into the electrical circuitry.
            Everything on that motor has got to operate in a range of roughly 11.8 to 14.8 volts. Outside that range, yeah, maybe start to have some problems.
            You still have a lot of warranty left on your investment - if that motor is "voltage sensitive" for some reason, then it will show up in that time period. I would not worry about it - your outboard is running fine - go and enjoy it.
            Good luck,
            Ken K

Comment

Your problem is probably in the way the dealer has wired the batterys. If they are not wired correctly the as mine were not when i bought it the motors will not be told to charge as they will think that your batteries are charged. Its a simple fix but the dealer should do it.

Comment

Working...
              X