water seperators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water seperators

I have 1987 twin 200hp units. I have 2 fuel/water seperators both with the glass inspection port on the bottom. My starboard filter the fuel looks clean, the port filter is much darker in color. I also have an issue with getting the primer bulb hard on that unit with the darker fuel.

I replaced all the hoses this past year and both filters have less than 5 hrs of run time on them. The tank is filled with new fuel. Any thoughts???????

If both filters are drawing from the same tank, then must be some contamination between the tank and that port filter, but I'd be for finding out before running motor with old/dark/contaminated fuel in it. Are all your fuel hoses designated "Marine Fuel Hose", not automotive hose? Good Luck!

Comment

Yes, all my hose are new and are of marine grade.

Comment

Your port tank has fouled gas. Assuming you have ethanol in your fuel. The dark color is gas, water, and ethanol mixed to saturation, along with varnish, etc that it cleaned from your tank. You can bet you got phase separation in the bottom of the tank. Running the engine will only clog your carbs if they aren't already clogged. Trying to save the gas is futile, you need to drain the tank, check the seal on your fill cap, refill the tank and flush about a quart of fuel through the system before hooking up to the motor. You should also drain the carb bowls, lines, and motor side filter.
        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

I only have one tank. 140 gal. The tank was emptied, cleaned and inspected last year and was not filled again until 3 weeks ago. This is why I am confussed. Both filters are being fed from the same tank at the location. The only difference is the filter that is getting darker is further from the tank. The only line that I did not change is a 1/4" (?) copper line that is under the deck encased in foam, its a Whaler. That line is only 24-30 inches.

Comment

The boat is leaning on a trailer or listing a bit in the water. The ethanol water mixture is heavier than gas and will go to the lowest part of the tank. Perhaps the lift tube for the port filter is in the lowest part of the tank. Now, if you tell me there's only 1-lift tube and it tees off to 2-filters; then I'm at a lose as to why 1-filter has fouled fuel and the other has good fuel.
            1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
            1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Tucker thanks for your help. I think I am leaning towards the feed for the port engine is lower in the tank. Going to go after it again tomorrow and hope to see the water sometime this weekend. I plan on pulling the top off the tank and taking a look in.

Comment

Working...
              X