87 yamaha 200 hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 yamaha 200 hp

i have a 87 yamaha 200 hp outboard motor. the power head was changed in 92. i haven't used it much but this year i took it out and it idled fine and was running fine. i got up to about 35 mph in my 21ft dixie cc. then it just stalled out. i could get it started but when i idled it down to put it into gear it always quit. i finally used the chock to make idle long enough to get into gear and keep running. it ran slow ok but when i went to wot, it stalled again. i finally limped home at less than half throttle. my marine mechanic checked it and told me it has no compression on no. 4 cylinder and that it's probably not worth rebuilding since the lower unit is cracked too. i don't want to buy another motor and am just about brave enough to attempt a rebuild. i've rebuilt car engines and automatic transmissions without supervison. is this something i should try? is it worth rebuilding? i expect to have more questions but thanks for your help on this.

kid,
    If you haven't used it much lately, then I would suspect carbs are clogged up with gum/varnish. Do a shock treatment with Seafoam - scroll down thru my posts where I have described the procedure.
    The shock treatment will clean the fuel system somewhat, and also break loose some of the built-up carbon. If the carbs are clogged up badly, then a carb rebuild is in order.
    That power head that was put on in 92, was that a new one? I can't imagine NO compression in #4 cylinder, but if so, then either badly stuck rings, worn rings, or blown piston.
    Yeah, with your experience, I think a rebuild might be in order. Get yourself a Yamaha shop manual to guide you along. Also, take a look at ebay.com - I see lower units on auction there from time to time - might save you some bucks.
    Let us know how you come out.
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X