Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodbolt - Your opinion please....

S225TXRX (1999)

Is there any preventative maintenance that should/could be done to the starter? It starts and runs fine, it's just my opinion that my crank is not as strong as it should be. Connections are clean and tight, batteries are new.

I do have problems though in late fall when it is very cold. The part on top of the starter that jumps up and grabs the flywheel (I think the manual calls it a pinion gear). I have never pulled the flywheel cover off but it's pretty clear by listening to it as I try to start it that the pinion gear is jumping up but either NOT engaging the flywheel or engaging it half way and quickly falling off. If I keep the key engaged, I can hear that pinion gear spinning, it's just not engaged into the flywheel. When it is very cold, it takes me several attempts to get it engaged and spinning the flywheel enough so she'll turn over. Again, this only happens when it is very cold out. Could it be sticking in the cold weather and in need of a lube job? Once I get it started in cold temps, it's fine the rest of the day.

I should mention the following.....Before I launched this year (boat was sitting Dec thru March) I bought new batteries that were sitting at 12.6 on a DVM. Just for the hell of it, I put them on a charger anyway for 5+- hours before I launched. Before I turned the key, those batteries were red hot, sitting at 13.5+- on a DVM. In 12 years, I have never seen the thing turn over so quickly. I didn't even hear a crank, it went from turning the key to immediately running. Seemed like higher than normal voltage eliminated the problem.

Anything I can do to trouble shoot it now when it's a toasty 85 degrees instead of waiting until Nov when it starts acting up and temps are in the 30's and my fingers are frozen?

do a voltage drop test on the wires.
    carefully clean and regrease the starter pinion shaft.
    thats about it shourt of dissasembling the starter for inspection.

Comment

how much of a voltage drop should you have?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        do a voltage drop test on the wires.
        carefully clean and regrease the starter pinion shaft.
        thats about it shourt of dissasembling the starter for inspection.
        Thanks

T

Comment

Update

Did I do this correctly?
          Unhooked safety lanyard so engine would crank but not start.

To test Positive Cable......
          Connected POSITIVE lead of the meter to the POSITIVE battery post.
          Connected the NEGATIVE lead of the meter to the starter terminal stud where the positive battery cable is connected.

To test Negative Cable.......
          Connected the NEGATIVE lead of the meter to the NEGATIVE battery post.
          Connected the POSITIVE lead of the meter to the starter terminal stud where the negative battery cable is connected.

Readings were:
          Positive wire = 3.2V
          Negative wire = 0.3V

This is too high a voltage drop in the POS cable, no?

Also I noticed during cranking that sometimes the pinion gear would not drop down OFF of the flywheel when the key was turned off, see photo.

Comment

I believe Rodbolt has written anything over .5 v is too much.
            You can move the meter lead to different points along the way to pin point where the high reading is coming from. Could be the cable or some connection

Comment

So I did the voltage drop test correctly?
              I have a Blue Seas switch with an ACR so there are several connections I guess that could be the source of the problem.
              Any opinion on the pinion gear not releasing from the flywheel?

Thanks.

Comment

Is your pinion gear moving freely up and down on it's helical shaft? Maybe clean and a drop of oil there?

Comment

sometimes if the motor does not start the pinion does not drop.
                  max voltage drop from the bat + to the starter + is .7V.
                  you do the math.
                  start backing up you meter lead down every positive cable connection until you find the drop.
                  to test the blue sea or a battery switch or a solinoid simply place one lead on the batt+ side of the device and the other lead on the starter side of the device and crank it.
                  should see less than .3V.

Comment

Thanks,

I'll dig further next time I'm at the boat and have another set of hands.

Comment

yep,3.2+.3=3.5.
                      12-3.5=8.5.
                      8.5V is simply not enough to crank a 3.1L AND powerup the injectors,ECU and fuel pump.
                      simple math.

Comment

Working...
                      X