Problem with enrichment valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with enrichment valve

I have a 2005 Yamaha 50hp 2 cycle outboard motor that has not wanted to start since it was new. I've given the dealer plenty of chances and lots of cash and all they can say is I am using wrong starting procedure and nothing is wrong with the motor.
    When I have the enrichment valve on normal and use proper starting procedure, it will not start. I have to turn the enrichment valve to manual and it starts right up. I then warm the motor up, turn the valve back to normal and it will start on normal the rest of the day. I am getting ready to sell the boat and need to solve that problem.
    I was just told by another dealer that it might cost as much as 500 dollars for them to fix it. Please help!!!!! davidmcc

what is the starting procedure you use and what is the difference in the one the dealer told you?

Comment

enrichment valve

1. Pump up bulb until it's hard (about 10 times)

2. Turn motor over about 5 seconds

3. Pump bulb

4. Turn motor over about 5 seconds

5. Repeat above procedure about 3 more times

6. Remove motor cover and turn enrichment handle to emergency.

7. Crank motor -- it starts right up

8. Warm engine up -- turn valve back to normal -- replace cover
      and make run to my fishing area. Engine usually starts on normal for rest of the day. thanks for reply davidmcc

Comment

What procedure did the shop tell you to use?

Hopefully you are not lifting the fast idle lever, as that is not part of the procedure for prime start motors and will affect the motor starting , but not in a good way

My C40TLRX starts in 2 or 3 (2 to 3 second) turns of the key when cold starting 1st thing in the day.
        I Always prime motor with bulb just one time before starting (but it does not take 10 pumps, maybe 4 or 5) But I do not drain the carbs between uses, and use a portable tank.
        and then turn the key to turn it over, turn off, and wait a few seconds and the hit it again, repeat until it starts.

Sounds like you have some blockage in the enrichment passages for cold starting

Comment

My 2006 ..sort of the same thing.

I replaced the battery and better starts... not real good, but much muck better. After 1st start of the day all is well

(seems like this starter system kicks out the starter before it has a real chance to light off)..

OEM was 380 CCA new one (oreillys) 550 CCA

Worth a try.

And on starting..... if no start on the first try, turn key on wait 10-15 seconds and then try

Let us know of your Fix....

Comment

Working...
          X