another oil transfer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another oil transfer problem

I just purchased a 2000 SWS II OX 66 FI (6G4 5X150TXRY) motor and boat with less than 100 hours. It looks and runs great but does not transfer oil in either mannual or automatic mode. I have boated for many years and am reasonably comfortable with a VOM but this is my first outboard. From the forums I have seen, I did some checking, but really do not understand enough about the system to know what I am doing. I assume the float switch in the engine tank will start the transfer pump if the level is too low and will shut it off when it is full. I also assume a float switch in the main tank will do something if it gets too low. I have 12 VDC at the main tank on the brown wire and appear to have no resistance to ground on the blue and black wires as well. Is there a way to simply check to see if the pump is bad? How is the pump replaced if needed? Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

Have you tried doing some forum searching and reading on problems like yours?

Try this one to see if it will help.
    http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...k-th16450.html

Comment

I did read this thread but I think I must have a different type of Tach because I do not see the indicators they are talking about. Also, my problem is with no manual transfer as well as automatic and all the threads I could find were problems with automatic only. I started this thread on the advice of someone who said each model is unique and often you cannot interchange wire colors from model to model.

Thanks,

Ben

Comment

Try this one, it have some good info also.
        http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...l-th16098.html

Use these to troubleshoot the system, make sure you read and pay attention to Rodbolts advice, as he has worked on these things for many years.
        If you are looking for something that is for sure for your motor then get a Yamaha service manual for your motor.

The #12 post in the 1st one has a very good description of how the oil system works even if you do not have that tach
        Last edited by 99yam40; 06-19-2011, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks again:

I talked to a friend of a friend who is a mechanic and he figured it was a bad pump. I pulled the tank and wired the pump to 12VDC and it does not work, so now I am going to relpace it. I think this will fix my problem. One thing he told me was when you fill the small engine tank from the top, be very careful with the small rubber gasket that is on the bottom of the strainer because sometimes it falls off and plugs up the system which will toast the power head in just a few minutes. I will let you know if the pump fixes my problem. Thanks again.

Ben

Comment

The new pump solved all my problems. The alarm went off till the pump filled the top tank to the bottom line and continued to pump till it was full--then shut off. Life is good.

Ben

Comment

That's the first pump I've heard to fail.
              1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
              1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Working...
              X