88 115hp rough idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 115hp rough idle

My 88 115hp outboard idles rough and coughs. And sometimes stalls right after it coughs. It runs perfect while underway.I have so far run carb cleaner thru the carb, checked the gas tank for water, and checked and replaced the fuel filter. I do not have a water seperater.I am hoping that someone can help me thru a few self checks be fore I have to take it to a mechanic. I had a mechanic tell me to flip the choke while it was running rough. He said if the motor died it was probably an electrical problem but if it ran better it was probably related to the fuel. It Stalled.

Still think it's fuel related; but it could be lots of things. Assuming you got ethanol in your area. If so you won't see water in the gas, the ethanol makes it mix with gas. Pump some gas into a clear jar. If its orange, you got fouled gas. Should be blue/yellow if you premix or just yellow if not. Sounds like classic dirty carb problems in the pilot jet circuit. That has the smallest fuel and air openings.
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

I see the pilot jets are right at the front of the carb If I were to take them out and clean them would that help or even fix the problem or do you think i may have to get the carbs done and if I do take them out and clean them what else should i do while I have them out

Comment

1) Get the shop manual
        2) Remove carbs and get carb kits from boats.net
        3) Check for fouled fuel
        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Agree wit Tucker, the only way is strip clean, assemble and adjust per the manual. It's not difficult if you follow the book.
          1 tiny piece of dirt could be what's causing your problems.

Comment

Working...
          X