Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard starting

i recently purchased a yamaha 98 115hp mod. 115TLRV
    at first start for the day its like its very cold blooded, but after running even a short distance it pops right off? is this common with this or all yamaha's??

It does take them a minute to warm up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Sounds pretty normal, but make slight changes in your starting procedure for quickest starts. Emergency cut-off lanyard key in place, pump primer bulb until hard, neutral throttle lever down in closed position, turn key to crank for about 3 or 4 seconds, let off on it for a few seconds, then turn key to crank again and it may start. I don't know why but that combination works well on my motor. The rest of the day, motor starts instantly! Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska angler View Post
        i recently purchased a yamaha 98 115hp mod. 115TLRV
        at first start for the day its like its very cold blooded, but after running even a short distance it pops right off? is this common with this or all yamaha's??
        My 1990 55hp had this problem. A Yamaha mechanic couldn't fix it. He drilled a hole in the carburetor cover, so I could squirt a little gas in!
        I ended up adjusting the linkage, because the top carburetor butterfly valve wasn't open, so it was trying to start on one cylinder. Before I adjusted the linkage, I bought two new carburetors, but did the adjustment, and now may return them. I did this yesterday, in my driveway.
        The screw on the linkage has a left-hand thread, which wasn't specified in the after-market manual I used. So, instead of loosening it, I was tightening it. Luckily, I didn't strip it. It is almost a two-man job, because you have to hold both carburetors closed while tightening the screw.
        I miss my simple little 9.9 tiller motor and 144 pound 14ft Starcraft.

Comment

the 2 stroke 115 has no prime start its a manually choked model.
          for cold starts it requires the choke to be applied and the magneto lever and throttles to be moved.

Comment

Working...
          X