Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 70 BETO issue(s)!

Hi everyone!
    I'm a newbie to boating so I ask your patience! I bought a Lund XRV with a 1984 Yamaha 70 BETO motor on it in August of 2010. The data plate on the motor said 70 BETO, but it could be a 70ETLN? The motor has about 406 hours on it from new and had been sitting for about 8 years so I had the fuel system gone through at a local marina.
    Last fall I fogged the motor, drained the carbs and fuel tanks and stored it away for the winter. This spring it fired right up, ran good and all seemed well. The third run of the season now and it doesn't want to idle, has a major bog between 1000 and 3000 rpm and has started to leak oil/fuel from around the crankcase by the upper crankshaft area, but I have not disassembled any thing yet to see exactly where the leak is coming from. I am guessing these issues are related, but not entirely sure. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Tim
    Last edited by tim63riv; 06-13-2011, 05:58 AM. Reason: Messed up!

Update

I looked in the Yamaha service manual and it mentions some drainback hoses and valves(?) that attach to the crankcase near the top of the cylinder case. Could one of those hoses be the source of the fuel and oil leak? I won't be back up to the boat for a week and a half to check it out.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Comment

Seasons over in Minnesota!

This past August I got tired of the finicky operation and all the hassle with my 70 horse Yamaha. Pulled the air silencer off of the motor and saw a fuel puddle in the bottom carb throat. Called the marina where I had my carb rebuilt and asked if they had carb kits in stock. Bought three of them, got outthe Yamaha manual and read up on carb R&R and overhaul and adjustment. Pulled the lower carb off and saw the bowl gasket/o-ring hanging out the side of the carb, not good! Took the carb apart and saw the float adjustment was 1/4 inch higher than the factory spec. Reassembled the carb, set the adjustments to factory specs and the motor ran great! Starts better, runs smoother (as smooth as a triple can!) and has improved fuel economy. Now that the summer is over, I'm going to pull the other two carbs and go through them. Just thought I would tell you what I found out in case someone else is trying to keep a 27 year old Yamaha triple alive!
      The oil/fuel leak I saw must have been from the carb over fueling or the float bowl gasket leaking under operation as it sems to be dried up now.
      Thanks,
      Tim

Comment

Working...
      X