2006 F50 shift rod problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 F50 shift rod problem

While installing lower unit the shift rod got turned. Removed unit to find neutral again. Now the shift rod turns back and forth approx. 3/4 turn but shaft stays locked in forward gear. No neutral or reverse and will not come out or gear in any position. Any help? Cannot figure out what is wrong.
    Thanks in advance.

Contagious?

The exact same thing happened to my C40TLRX (1999, 2 stoke) yesterday. I'll be curious about the solution. Good Luck.

Comment

Stuck Shift Rod

...... must not be any transmission guys around......

Saw this suggestion (below) in an older post. I actually oriented mine opposite ("face up"?), tapped on it, and got something to move, though not yet properly assembled and indexed. Shift rod went in an additional 1/2" or so, and encountered resistance.... I have lower unit only, my boat/motor is 3 hrs away, so I am somewhat short of declaring victory....

"Shift cam is out of place. Put the lower unit back on the outboard start all four bolts about 4 to 5 turns. Connect the shift rod. Tilt the outboard until the lower unit is facing the ground as much as possible. Shift the outboard shift lever to forward putting pressure on the shift rod all the way through the lower unit. Tap on the lower unit housing on both sides using a hammer. The cam should move back forward and then you can shift to N & R using the shift arm. Complete the installation of your lower unit."

Link to thread:

[URL="http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/forum2/25hp-lower-will-not-shift-th2930.html"]

Comment

Okay, shift rod will not turn 360 degrees. Removed two bolts from prop shaft housing and removed prop shaft. Placed shift cam in correct position and reinstalled prop shaft. Total time was less than ten minutes after 24 hours of wondering what went wrong. Very easy fix.
        Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Prop Shaft

Did the bearing carrier come out with the prop shaft? A serious bearing puller is required to remove mine. I'm scared of having to go at it from that angle.

Anyway, ... glad yours is fixed. I reassembled mine and no longer have resistance on the shift shaft (not good). Planning to re-attached to engine tomorrow and see what happens..... not optimistic......

Comment

Working...
          X