C40TLRX, Shift Rod and Drive Shaft Seals Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C40TLRX, Shift Rod and Drive Shaft Seals Access

I am replacing seals, o-rings in LU on my 1999 Yamaha C40TLRX (2 stroke), and wondered how to remove the plate on the shift rod and the housing on the drive shaft in order to access the seals, rings...? Special tool? They are too snug to move by hand. Thanks for any input...

Update:

1- Got the drive shaft housing off. Surface that o-ring mates to is rough, inside opening in casing where drive shaft goes into gearcase, not on the housing but the surface where the casing wraps around drive shaft opening and seal housing. It looks like a sleeve-style insert that goes inside opening and I can't see it on the parts diagram. May be part of bearing housing????? Not sure what's next......

2- Shift rod: My SELOC manual said to remove shift shaft (with "housing"), while in neutral, to replace seal and o-ring. When I began to apply upward pressure to remove it, it engaged the forward gear, and now will not go back to neutral or reverse. I think I've seen some reference to this requiring the gearcase to be torn down and rebuilt on some engines. I think I have conflicting info, and I know I need some advice.

THANKS!

Ken
    Last edited by a387673; 06-11-2011, 07:01 PM.
Working...
X