2003 150 hpdi fuel bleed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 150 hpdi fuel bleed question

Had a leak on the large o-ring on top of vst tank this weekend. bad re-install on my part. Long story short, ran engine completely dry of fuel. Installed new vst o-ring, filled 2/3 full of fuel and started motor. Ran rough but started smoothing out (all tests done on garden hose w/muffs). After a few minutes started smoothing out. Put in gear so that the other 2 cylinders of the six were firing. Initially rough but sarted smoothing out so that I could rev up w/no hesitation. Came back to idle in neutral and tried to rev up and it started cutting off. Would initially crank back up and idle but would shut off under increasing throttle. VST tank full of fuel and it you press schrader valve on top, it will shoot fuel out (don't have a pressure gauge). Checked plugs after motor would not refire. Cruddy looking from the oil so I cleaned them. Tried to recrank but it will not start. Am going to put a new set of plugs in to get it fired off but was wondering if there is a bleeder valve somewhere other than on top of the vst to get air out. By the way, the boat was running perfectly before the fuel mistake. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

all self bleeding.
    you have other issues

Comment

Rodbolt
      Thanks for the reply. I forgot to post on my subsequent tests. Bottom line is that with a fuel pressure gauge attached, turn key on and it shows 52 psi and then after 3-5 seconds, drops to 20 psi. Crank motor and it will hold at 54 psi for 5-7 minures and then start dropping until it hits zero and shuts off. Does the pressure on the fuel gauge for the vst remain constant at some number? What else could I check for? When engine is running and starts dropping fuel pressure, I can pump primer bulb to get pressure back to 52psi. I have bypassed the engine primary clear cannister with an inline connector to see if this was the problem with no success. I then re-connected. Help!

Comment

your losing medium pressure.
        if you can use the fuel primer bulb to maintain fuel in the VST and the pressure stays then your fighting lift pumps or a fuel line/filter air leak.
        remove the check valve between the engine filter and the lower lift pump intake, gut it or replace it with a hose mender.

Comment

Working...
        X