Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '98 S200 Carb sync, idle adjust, etc

Gents,
    Following procedure in manual, timing set by Yam tech in York Town where I bought the boat. Got 2-new red marks on the adjusters and not messing with it. The rb nailed it when he said I had bad fuel and I had to take off carbs and clean. Syncing carbs and the book says to adjust throttle lever adjusting screws on the top & bottom carbs. Simple, loosen cw and that syncs them to the middle carb. After that adjust the pilot screws: Stb side 1-1/8 turns, port side 5/8 turns, the Yami tech had them all out 3/4 turns. Please confirm 5/8 & 1-1/8 turns is correct. Little confused after that regarding adjusting throttle roller adjusting screw on the middle carb. Shouldn't that be set to fully close throttle plates? So I start with a fully closed throttle and open to adjust idle with the idle adjusting screw. Can't help thinking that I'm making too much of this but I don't want to screw it up. Thanks Guys!
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

my thoughts are all throttle plates should be fully closed when synchronized and then idle speed adjusted to open them all the same amount

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      my thoughts are all throttle plates should be fully closed when synchronized and then idle speed adjusted to open them all the same amount
      Couldn't agree more. The middle carb is con*****ed by the throttle roller. Unless I'm interpreting it the wrong way, the book is saying to adjust idle there. Further on it says adjust idle at the throttle stop screw. I believe the throttle plates should be closed with the throttle stop screw backed off.

Comment

My manual was very confusing also, and did not make sense to me.
        But Rodbolt told me on a different web site to make sure all are closed completely and then set idle with the idle adjustment screw which moves all after locking all together when synced while completely closed. Mine is a C40TLRX so way different than your 200, but should be same principle

Comment

Rodbolt gives a nice, simple understandable linq and sync procedure, maybe you can do a forum search and find it. I ran a copy and keep it in my book. Good Luck!

Comment

Robert, I did a search of rb's posts and can't find that one, though I do remember it and should have printed it out.

Boats.net, can you please confirm no. of turns out for the pilot screws.

99 that makes the most sense to me. The book does an excelent job of laying out the tune up sequence but in the end, leads you to believe there are 2-ways of adjusting idle; with the stop screw and also at the throttle roller.

Thanks guys

Comment

Bringing this to the top cause I'm splashing boat next week. Starting to think I'm the only guy left with carbs. Really puzzled with why manual has different pilot screw adjusments for port and stb sides of each carb, (1-1/8 turns stb & 5/8 turn port).

Comment

cause thats the way its designed.
                follow the manual and it works.
                when your all done each throttle shaft will have an identical opening and the roller will NOT be touching the shaft and the pick up timing will have to be checked.

Comment

Working...
                X