Finished the carb rebuild *****UPDATED*****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished the carb rebuild *****UPDATED*****

I just finished the carburetors on my 90 and its idling great. I tore them apart last night and let them soak in new clean solvent. I noticed they looked a little gummed up but not really that bad. This morning I took them out one by one and cleaned out all the ports with spray carb cleaner. I accidentally dropped a jet in the bottom of the can so I took out everything to get it. I was amazed to see a thick film of grime on the bottom of the can. I thought that the carbs weren’t that dirty but I was wrong. The rebuild when smoothly but I wish Yamaha added new jets with their kits. After I installed the carbs, I hooked it up to the hose, primed it, and attempted to start it. After cranking it once with the choke it fired right.

I tried to set the preliminary synchronizing adjustments but both my manuals showed the upper joint link measurement too long for the joint link. I don’t see how it can be right unless I have the wrong joint. I set the adjustments the best I could until I get on the water.

One thing that I noticed was there was a little bit of oil on the spark plugs when I pulled them. And there was a little bit of oil in on the intake manifold. I’m just trying to make the motor last until I can find a Yamaha 115.

-Charles

Good news, Charles, glad that carb rebuild did the trick - I'm starting to think that carb rebuild on 2-strokes should be a routine maintenance item every four years or so - maybe sooner. Guess it depends on how the outboard is run, how often, and how it is stored or allowed to set up in off season. I still think the best thing to do is run the outboard once a week in the off season - preferably with boat in water so you can open up high speed jets - if not, then with earmuffs and garden hose.
    If you can't run the motor in off season, then its best to follow the storage procedure of the owners manual (fogging of motor, sta-bil in fuel tank, etc.).
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

I finally had time to take the boat out on the water to test the carbs out after the rebuild. I took my father and brother out in the bay for some fishing and found that the carb rebuild did the trick. Being that we all weighed in at about 740 lbs. I knew the motor would have to work to get the boat on plane. I tested it out with a 5 mile 3000-3500 RPM trip to the fishing hole. The motor didn’t hesitate at all. I cruised around after that, keeping the RPMs low. After about half the day without any problems; I decided to open her up. I headed out to the on a 13 mile trip to the jetties at WOT. The motor ran strong and never gave a hint of hesitation.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

-Charles.

Comment

Working...
      X