Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 code 28 "shift position switch": SOLVED

Hello,
    All my problems on my F115 are now solved: no idle problems, no ignition advance, no stalling problems, no high RPM problems.
    It now runs like new.
    The ECU is completely lost when it starts with a code error.
    My "shift position switch', part #6 (68F-8259F-00-00) on control panel, was
    open (no short circuit at neutral), I have just twist the inox contactor to have a short circuit at neutral position, it makes the ECU a good start.
    Many thanks to Rodbolt17.

the shift position switch is NOT at the console.
    the nuetral start switch is in the control box.
    the shift position switch is on the shift slide under the engine hood.
    incorrect shift position signal can do funny things.
    typically I see that code set when someone revs the engine in N.

Comment

I have perhaps a stupid question: but what is the point of the "shift position switch" ?
      Because it must be on (short circuit) in neutral position, but it seems there is no change when you throttle in neutral position (with the handle): engine throttles fine like with gear engage ?
      I ask this question because perhaps I can simply make a permanent short circuit on the ECU connector rather than change this expensive switch ?
      Thanks.

Comment

its open in N and closed in gear.
        above a certain RPM if its still open the ECU limits RPM due to a nuetral oversped.
        if the ECU sees a crank signal and an in gear signal it limits RPM cause it sees something not right with the linkage.
        let me see if I get a chance to look further on that switch function.
        but it has nothing to do with engine cranking in gear.

Comment

what would be the correct way to test the shift position switch

hi, I have a twin Z200 Hpdi 2004, I would like to know the correct way to test the shift position switch, when is in neutral should be continued? I just want to be sure, that is not working inverted right now in neutral has continuity, and when I apply drive, lost continuity.
          thanks for ur help
          Last edited by carrillohec; 06-06-2016, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carrillohec View Post
            hi, I have a twin Z200 Hpdi 2004, I would like to know the correct way to test the shift position switch, when is in neutral should be continued? I just want to be sure, that is not working inverted right now in neutral has continuity, and when I apply drive, lost continuity.
            thanks for ur help
            You might get better response by creating a new post for this question

Comment

I'm having the same problem with a 225four stroke efi mercury, in neutral can go to 6000 rpms and I put it in gear or forward will not go past 3000 rpm please help

Comment

Where is the shift position switch located and the throttle position sensor located on that engine?

Comment

need to start a new thread on your problem.

by the way not much fuel is needed to spin a motor with no load on it

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett8 View Post
                    I'm having the same problem with a 225four stroke efi mercury, in neutral can go to 6000 rpms
                    Sweet.
                    The first step in troubleshooting...

Comment

Hello, I'm a new member and I need help with the problem I am having with my 225 4stroke mercury year 2004.In neutral the motor idles up to 6000rpms and when I put it in gear or forward it only will go up to 3000rpms like it's in the safe mode. Please help me.

Comment

you do understand this is a Yamaha forum, right?

but if you want to start a new thread of your own, go here https://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/...outboard-forum
                        and then click of new topic

Comment

You do realise a 2004 225 merc 4stroke is a yamaha...

Comment

Originally posted by Jpmarine View Post
                            You do realise a 2004 225 merc 4stroke is a yamaha...
                            does not matter, he still needed to start a new thread on his motor,
                            and why do you drag up an old thread?

Comment

A Mercury four stroke 225 is not a Yamaha. Made by Yamaha but not a Yamaha.

Comment

Working...
                              X