Bought a new to me yamaha 30hp 2 stroke and need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a new to me yamaha 30hp 2 stroke and need opinions

Hello guys. I'm a pretty much a marine newb but i'm reading and reading and learning as i go thanks to these forums. I bought a 1992 yamaha 30hp 3 cyclinder 2 stroke for very cheap and i just started going through it. I hooked up fresh fuel, used pre-mix because i didn't test the precission blend system yet, hooked up the muffs and hit the starter and it fired right up. It has been sitting for a couple of years. It ran quite well, but didn't pump water after 30 second of running. I pulled the impeller and it was in decent shape, but all there. There was a little crud in the passage by the impeller. I took out the thermostat and it was very corroded. I found a 1/8" round hole in the bottom of the thermostat housing. Is this normal or is it corroded through? I flushed water down the thermostat hole with my garden hose and white gritty crud was pouring out the bottom of the motor. I pulled the fuel pump cover off and found sand like grit and rust colored stuff in the bottom lips of the fuel pump. I ran a compression test and i got 105, 107, 107. Is this acceptable. I also drained the bottom leg oil and it was a mirky grey color so a little water is getting in there. Is this motor worth sinking a little money into. I bought it in hopes that i would buy a tiller arm and use it on an aluminum 14.5 boat. I figure all of these parts that i need will be nearly $450 here in Canada. The fuel filter was clean but it came with a metal tank. I should also note that i can see heavy carbon on tops of the pistons. Can you guys offer some insight. Added a couple of pics. Motor is electric start. Thanks
    Attached Files

Fisherman

Take this for what ever that it may be worth but in my opinion and what I have found out the compression is ok.
    I only wish that I could spend around $450.00 for a 30HP yamaha electric start and have a good motor, keep in mind I did not say excellent, I said good.
    so good luck and hope you make the correct decession I will pay shipping and take it off of your hands Ha ha .

Comment

Working...
    X