2001 F-100 Leaking Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 F-100 Leaking Oil

I own a 2001 F-100 and it is pumping oil out of the crankcase vent and into the intake assy. When tilted, the oil seeps out of the induction headers and drips off the bottom of the carbs and also creats a puff of smoke when the engine is started. I have also noticed a slight amount of moisture in the dipstick area which occured at the same time as the leakage began and has continued for two oil changes since. I recently changed the oil and added 5 quarts as usual however the specified amount is actually 4.7 quarts (it may have been overfilled slightly) I have never before had this problem since I bought the motor new and have always used 5 quarts when changing the oil. What does the PCV system consist of and might this be a possible source of the problem? Thanks for your help.

Correction, the motor is actually a 2000 F-100

Comment

I have a similar problem with a 2000 F80TLRY. The manuals are the same, so I'm assuming its just a cc difference. I posted a question here a week ago never got a reply. Guess you have to be a regular. If this is any help here's what I've done.
      Bought the manual, rented an engine hoist, pulled the power head and then inspected the seals at the crankshaft and the oil pump. There's another under the flywheel but I don't want to take that off and it doesn't look to be leaking I'm replacing the seals, all less then $10 apiece and the powerhead gasket which was around $40. I'm also going to replace the 2 orings that feed the oil pump from the strainer, less than $2 each. I did not see an obvious leak point but when I pulled the powerhead I did notice that the oil was running down the shift shaft onto the lower cowling.

Hope you get some other replies with people more knowledgable than me.

Todd

Comment

Trapshy and Todd,
        Wish I could help each of you, but I would only be guessing - do another post of your problem late at nite or early morn - the boats.net mechanic usually answers questions early, like around 8 am Florida time - and seems he only answers posts that have no responses to them. Give it another try.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Thanks Guys. I have made some adjustments and am taking it out in Prince William Sound tomorrow to test. I cleaned out the passages behind the valve cover attached to the crankcase breather, changed the oil and plugs, and made sure not to overfill it. I am worried about the possibility of a head gasket leak or some type of blowby caused by a cylinder problem. I will report my findings if and when I return from our trip.

Comment

Update: Put over 50 miles on it yesterday and have seen no additional oil laekage. I might have overfilled it and possibily not drained all the old oil when changing??? A full limit of silver salmon and a beautiful day and the sound was payment in full for any tinkering done. All; thanks for the input,

Tim

Comment

Tim,
              I'm jealous - wish you could post some pictures. Glad you fixed the problem. I hope other 4-stroke owners read this thread - might be helpful to them. Thanks for the feedback.
              Good luck,
              Ken K

Comment

Working...
              X