Trim pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim pump

I have a 1996 yamaha 90 HP. The trim pump will lift the engine out of the water however when putting the engine back in the water, the engine will go down in the tilt position until it reaches the trim position. At that time the trim motor makes noise but the engine does not go down any further. My mechanic tells me that it is such a problem to rebuild the pump that I am better off getting a new pump. However he also tells me that new pumps are very expensive and it might not be worth putting that much money in an engine that old. Any thoughts?

looks like about 2k for the whole system, ebay or good used....you live in the keys there are multiple parts place down there... i had to pay $1100 for a good used one for my 2k 200`s.

Comment

ronzoe,
      This is a long shot, but worth trying -
      Get that boat out of the water so you can work on the t/t. Raise the motor all the way up with the power t/t and drop the locking lever to secure the motor. Check the fluild level and add if needed.
      Now, unlock the locking lever and drop motor down with power t/t as far as it will go. Now, turn the hydraulic bypass screw ccw all the way - it is located on the side of the t/t assy - be careful not to be under the motor when you do this because hopefully, the motor will drop all the way down, but it should be fairly slowly. If motor does not drop anymore than what it did with power t/t switch, then one or both of the trim rams may be stuck, or the pump is malfunctioning.
      Either way, a teardown is in order.
      I don't know about you, but I could not operate my boat w/o the power t/t. I would find some mechanic locally that has experience in t/t rebuilds. I've got one here, and he saved me a bundle on my old 90 Merc years ago.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

ronzoe, also keep in mind that if youre not up on lubing all your grease fittings regularly, your tilt tube might be seizing up, not allowing full movement.

Comment

I have a 1988 90HP that has had trim/tilt issues. I have yet to "dive in" and rebuild the unit. However, I have both the Yamaha factory manual (70HP & 90HP), as well as the SELOC aftermarket manual (all 3-bangers, 30HP thru 90HP.) I didn't get the Clymer manual--I thought it was trying to cover too many models (2-225HP or something like that)

Ultimately, the SELOC manual has a pretty good write-up on what is reasonable to attempt with a trim/tilt unit for the home-based mechanic. The Yamaha manual goes deeper, but leaves out a lot of detail. Once upon a time, there was a rebuild "kit" available from Yamaha with all of the seals, o-rings, etc., but I don't know if it's still available.

Just a thought . . .

Comment

Working...
          X