Racor filter questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racor filter questions

My F150 4 stroke bogged down and wasn't running well this wkend. My filter bowl on the Racor filter showed some whitish sediment/junk. I changed the filter and the engine seems to be running well. I did prime the new Racor filter before installing it by filling it with gas.
    I also inspected the internal Yamaha fuel filter and there was no water in it, it appeared clean.
    My questions are:
    1- When I empty the clear bowl under the Racor filter to check for junk/water, do I need to fill it back up or will it fill on its own? My priming bulb is between the filter and engine and does not seem to fill the bowl.
    2- After I re-installed the internal Yamaha fule filter, despite it turning tight and it seeming to be well seated, there is some leak/seapage of gas after I pumped the priming bulb. Some gas and air bubbles leaked out around the top of the filter cup where the threaded collar is located. Can this be due to needing a new gasket?
    Thanks

Dave

I have never needed to prime the 10 micron external filter on my rig.

Yes, you need to replace the cup O ring ASAP. Going to be sucking air. Could be it just slipped out of position but I always have a keep them in the garage. Had one split on me.
    Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
    16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

i had the same problem. If the O ring doesn't have an obvious tear or is mis-shapen, the bowl isn't sitting properly in the housing. Sounds strange, but if you put the bowl in the freezer for 1/2 an hour it will fit easily into the housing. I was a non believer also til I tried it.

Also you can tell if the bowl is sitting properly by the threads on the housing when the collar is fully tightened. You shouldn't see any threads on the housing if the bowl is properly seated when the collar is tight. If there is about 1/8" threads showing,the bowl isn't right and it will leak.

Comment

Working...
      X