Sx250 dies at around 3.5k RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sx250 dies at around 3.5k RPM

I have twin SX250 (ox66) 2001... port motor idles fine, throttle up to 3.5 K RPM and dies. I can feel a "clicking " in the shift control. Then re-starts and does this sequence about 4 times ....then runs like it should with no problems. All fuel filters (racor, vst, engine, injector) new. Any ideas or trouble shooting would be appreciated. I am thinking low pressure fuel pumps, but I am not sure if I am looking in the right direction.

monitor the fuel rail pressure at the problem rpm and load.
    that clicking is the propshaft rotating backwards while its in gear engine off and the hull still moving fwd.

Comment

next step ? sx250 dies at 3.5k ..Rodbolt ??

Thanks for your attention..by monitoring the fuel fail pressure, I assume you mean connecting a pressure gauge to the schrader valve near the VST. ??? What am I looking for and what is my next step ? Does this test the high pressure pump ? Is there a way to check the LP pumps. (I've tried to find information on this and its a little shaky in my head) .. Why does the symptom vanish after 4 times ??? That's got me even more confused. PS..Rodbolt, I am a commercial laundry tech (the LES stands for Laundry Equipment Service).. if you ever need help with your washer or dryer, I would be more than happy to return the favor.

Comment

fuel rail pressure should remain at 35 PSI = or - 3 psi at ALL engine RPMs and load.
        at key off it may bleed down to about 25 PSI but should hold for a few minutes to hours.

Comment

rodbolt, thanks , another question

if fuel rail pressure no good, bad HP fuel pump ??? >>>> if pressure OK Then bad LP pump ????? Am I on the right track ?? The intermittent failure of WHATEVER has me puzzled ?

Thanks

Comment

much easier to help AFTER you test rather than explain the complete system / symtoms
            to test lp pumps, unbolt, pump ball and if any gas comes out of vac port, replace

Comment

just looking to fix

I figured if I had the whole picture I would get it repaired faster. Rather then bits and pieces and loosing time waiting on the forum for further instructions. I read the service manual in reference to testing the low pressure pumps with a mity vac. My M.V. is a little different and I am a little confused as to whether they are testing pressure or vacuum. There are 3 simple pictures, but I am not getting it. Any way thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

Comment

problem solved

thanks for all the help....the problem was a LP fuel pump. unbolting and squeezing the ball showed fuel leaking at the backside of the pump. Thanks jb123, and rodbolt
                Last edited by ttles714; 06-12-2011, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X