Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 225etxd no tach,no oil transfer,new parts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 225etxd no tach,no oil transfer,new parts...

HELLO FRIENDS,I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIX THIS OLD GIRL,IT WAS OVER CHARGING,REPLACED VOLT/REC,STILL NO RPM ON DIGITAL TACH.I WAS WONDERING IF IT COULD BE STATOR ISSUE AS I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BOTH TACH SIGNAL AND YMIS NOT SEEMING TO GROUND FOR OIL TRANSFER.AS RODBOLT 17 WOULD SAY I HAVE" SOME GOOD USED PARTS",REPLACED BAD REMOTE TANK UNIT,REPLACED MOTOR MOUNTED TANK SWITCH,TESTED ALL LEADS,CLEANED AND TESTED ALL GROUNDS,STILL NOT WORKING.CAN NOT LOCATE IN MY MANUAL TEST PROCEDURES FOR STATOR/COILS.ANY THOUGHTS OR TEST PROCEDURES WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    Last edited by MID FL CAP; 05-29-2011, 06:11 PM.

stator has nothing to do with oil control.
    that system needs a correct feedback from the trim sensor as well.

Comment

Please turn off the caps, makes it hard to read.

I am not even sure if that motor gets tach signal from stater, check your manual to be sure. Check voltage at battery before and after starting motor to see if it is charging.

Have done any forum searching for the oil transfer problem?
      If the trim signal is not your problem then look to see if this thread will help. http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...l-th16098.html

Comment

tach signal is from the ECU best I recall.

Comment

Hello ,I have been working on this old girl for some time.I have been buying and looking at e-manuals about this wiring digram for this model,etxd,225,I have foung that thr wiring diagrams for what I am seeing on this engine is showing in the manual to be a 1992 and latter model ,v6 ,90 degree motor.Mine has the TPS,and Prime start,w/micro cumpter.I am having a hard time finding a wiring diagram with color codes ,so as to trace down wires. I have found one bad connection on the blue wire coming from the pump switch on the top of micro,fixed and still nothing.I also found in that main harness,two yellow wires cut,I am thinking maybe this why my enrichment valves no not work.Nedd a good wiring diagram with color codes to fix for sure.

Comment

99Yam40,thank you and rodbolt17 for responding.I did,and I am, still do searches.There is a lot of good stuff and I am learning and tracing down problems,sometimes the fix things and sometimes things do'nt need fixing,as I am learning.

Comment

Thanks,bump.

Comment

Okay - I had the SAME exact thing happen to my 90HP Four Stroke - the culprit was that I pinched a wire when I was re-installing my carbs after I cleaned/rebuilt them. It was a blue wire on the Prime Start that was pinched. I thought it was a faulty CDI unit so I jumped a wire from my Voltage Regulator (green wire) straight to my tach to get a reading.....

Long dstory on this but I had a constant overcharging problem (16.6V) and finally my Voltage regulator when kaput, it actually charred my CDI unti so we decided that I should replace both. When the new CDI and Regulaor was installed, jump wire was removed....when we cranked it up I still had a low idle problem and a "0" reading on my Digital tach......

I know people will balk at this but my Certified Yamaha Mechanic grabbed his "notes" and troubleshot the root cause to the pinched wire....New splice on the wire and BINGO, tach reading perfectly!
                Last edited by CatCam; 05-30-2011, 08:07 PM. Reason: omission

Comment

Thank you for your reply.I am still looking for bad wires,eroded connectors,etc.,replacing when I find them. I will look for thoses pinched wires as well.thanks.

Comment

iol switch

Originally posted by MID FL CAP View Post
                    Thank you for your reply.I am still looking for bad wires,eroded connectors,etc.,replacing when I find them. I will look for thoses pinched wires as well.thanks.
                    the trim sensor has to work or you can put the orange and grey wire to gather to test

Comment

DO NOT put the orange and gray wires together.
                      the orange is the 5v reference for the trim sender, gray is the overheat visual indicate.
                      why not understand whats trying to happen.
                      at the remote oil tank.
                      brown has 12v anytime the key is on,blue is the ground path controled by the ECU or the manual switch.
                      black is SWB ground and black red is the path to the ECU that controls the visual indicate yellow lamp.

Comment

Yhank you rodbolt17,I will not put these wires together.I have read many of your posts over and over again,including the ones that have to do with this system.I have a good grasp of it.I am no tracing down bad and boken wires,repairing or replacing as i go.Maybe one day I wil get it to work the way it was intended to.

Comment

Working...
                        X